04 March 2016

Genealogy Do-Over : Month 3

February Assignments and What I Did

February was all about establishing practices and setting up guidelines to help with the research process.

Establish Base Practices and Guidelines : I came up with five procedures for setting research goals, tracking research, and making the most of every source. I'm happy to report that I have been [mostly] sticking with them. Every once in a while I get ahead of myself and forget to log my searches in the Research Log. I've found having a procedure for dealing with my sources very helpful.

Setting Research Goals : I have written out my initial research goal in Evernote. That is to identify and document the family group of William A. Dixon and Mary E. Klein. I also created a "Research Resources Checklist" for each family member using Evernote. Each time I log in a resource in my Roots Magic research log, I go to the note for the individuals concerned and check that resource off my list. By using a master template, it is easy to copy and paste the checklist into a new note each time I find a new person. It allows me to see, at a glance, which sources I've checked and which I still might need to explore.

March Assignments and What I Plan to Do


The assignment for March is to conduct a self interview, recording information about my life. We are also supposed to conduct family interviews with our parents and siblings.

I've already started recording my own particulars. I'll go back over what I have and add to it as needed. Interviewing relatives is pretty much a non-starter. Both of my parents are dead, and I have no siblings. Instead, I will go over family group sheets for myself and my parents and make sure that they are as complete as I can possibly make them.

Helpful Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment