01 February 2017

I can beat that

Afternoon, Winter, Grandma and Grandpa's House



Classics - eggbeaters and that wallpaper. Making "eggnog" at my grandparents' house, early 1960's.
Me, early 1960's,
cooking up something good at Grandma & Grandpa's house.


Oh, that eggbeater. Did there ever exist a more fun kitchen utensil for a child? Some of you may be too young to remember eggbeaters, with their turning gears and whirling beater parts, and the cool sound they made.

Here is my Grandpa Dixon's recipe for "Egg Nog," which is probably what I'm in the process of making here.

  • 1 egg - raw
  • milk - enough to fill the glass
  • vanilla - a teaspoon
  • sugar - as much as it takes

Beat until frothy or until you get tired. Drink happily.

Yes, we ate raw eggs back then. I don't know anyone who ever got sick from it. And, I might add, it was pretty darned yummy.

This photo was taken in the early 1960's in my Dixon grandparents' kitchen. I loved that wallpaper! Still do. I know this was taken in the afternoon because the sun is shining in the front window, which faced pretty much due west, if I recall correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment